Jane Edwards

Here Jane Edwards discusses the various buildings that have housed the YWCA, including the one designed by Julia Morgan, a famous female architect in the early 20th century.

1913 — Photograph shows Hammond Hall, built in 1878. This building, on 300 South between 300 and 400 East, served as the dormitory of the Gordon Academy until it was purchased in 1912 by the YWCA of Salt Lake City. Three affluent women in New York City paid $11,000 of the $35,000 purchase price; $14,000 was raised by local YWCA leaders. The final payment for the property was made in 1914.

Used by permission, Utah State Historical Society, all rights reserved.

More in this category: Jane Edwards Sue Durrant